Chinwe Egwim is an economist with 700+ published economic notes. She is currently the Chief Economist and Head of Economic Research and Intelligence at Coronation Merchant Bank, a leading financial institution in Africa. At CMB, she drives macroeconomic strategy, thought leadership as well as government relations among others. Prior to joining Coronation Merchant Bank, she had worked at FBNQuest Merchant Bank, FBN Capital, Fitch Ratings Milan and the Central Bank of Nigeria. She was appointed as a National Consultant by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa to lead the services trade project partly driven by UNCTAD. She has been included to IMF Article IV consultations, Africa Development Bank Meetings and has served as Resident Economist for the research-based initiative, AiR – Africa Investment Roundtable.
Her TEDx talk on Equipping the Female Economy has contributed to conversations around empowering women. She is frequently pulled in to give expert advice on economic trends across print media and also on news channels such as CNBC Africa and the BBC. Chinwe authored a book titled, Understanding Economic “Jargon”. The book uses a simple approach to breakdown how economic indicators and the investment climate react to economic shocks and upswings. It has ranked as a bestseller in Education Leadership on Amazon.
Chinwe has served as an Executive Council Member of Women in Management, Business and Public Service (WIMBIZ) and is the current Vice-Chair of Advocacy at WIMBIZ. She is also an Executive at Professional Women Bankers (APWB) – an arm of the prestigious Chattered Institute of Bankers’ Nigeria. Chinwe has received several reputable recognitions and awards and has been featured on the cover pages of multiple business-driven magazines.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
– Awarded “Positive Role Model – West Africa” at the 2021 Accenture Gender Mainstreaming Awards
– Recognized as one of the Most Influential People of African Descent (MIPAD) 100 under 40 in support of the United Nations International Decade for People of African Descent – 2020
– Nominated in X-factor Category, CIBN Awards 2021 which recognizes a leading female banker breaking the glass ceiling and inspiring a more gender inclusive industry
– Recognised as one of the top 100 career women in Nigeria by 9to5 Chick – 2021
– Won the HER Network Career Woman of the year – 2018
– Recognised as one of the 100 most influential Nigerian women by Leading Ladies Africa
– Recognised as one of the 100 most inspiring Nigerian women by YNaija – 2022
– Recognised as an influential professionals under 40 in the corporate power list – 2018
– Recognised as a Leading Woman in Banking by the Association of Professional Women Bankers, CIBN
– Featured as a top tier thought leader on multiple business magazines
– Featured as Guardian Woman, March 2020
– Featured as Guardian Woman 2019 (Merited As One of The Few Trailblazer Women, Making Impact In Their Industries and Shattering The Glass Ceiling by showing that it is achievable to excel in any chosen field one desires to go into).
– Author, Understanding Economic ‘Jargon’
– Contributor, World Economic Forum
– Guest Lecturer on Economics (Oct. 2020) – IE University
– Board Member, Bookings Africa
– Member, Technical Committee – Nigeria Economic Summit 2020
– Judge, Future Awards Africa 2019 & 2020
– Board Member, The Women International
– Expert Guest (recurring) – CNBC Africa, Arise News and Plus TV
– TEDx Speaker – 2019
– Mentor – WIMBIZ Mentorship Program and LLA Mentorship program
– Member, Executive Council – Africa Policy Conversations